Friday, March 16, 2012

Greek Yogurt "Aoili"



In the middle of nowhere, (you know the one located in the Columbia River Gorge on the Washington side?) There is a little town called Bingen and in that little town there is the most amazing pizza (ahem, all local ingredient, brick oven, sustainable pizza) place I have ever been to, The Solstice Wood Fire Cafe.

Aside from the amazing, and unique pizza offerings, they have wonderful bread and side dishes--seasonally offered. One summer when I found myself in the cafe's cozy grasps, I ordered the seasonal veggies with aioli. 

I had never heard of aioli, so I asked my waitress who all but made it in front of me to give me the details of what is in it. In short, it's a fancy mayonnaise. But, oh buddy, does it taste goood.

(Un)fortunately, Russ and I are on our whole better-eating-as-a-lifestyle-not-a-diet...life...and so huge globs of mayonnaise (fancy as they may be) aren't really friendly for a veggie topper.

So! Tonight, I whipped up a little healthier version to accompany dinner (slow roasted cherry tomatoes and basil, with lemon chicken and couscous--much easier than it sounds!)

The trick is to use greek yogurt instead of mayo.

Greek Yogurt Aioli
(These measurements are pretty rough, play with it and the herbs to suit your taste)

2 tbs Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 tbs Lemon Juice
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 1/2 tsp smashed garlic
1 giant leaf minced basil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything into a little bowl, whisk, whisk, whisk, end up with a slightly runny concoction and pour over any assortment of veggies or vegetable thick dishes. Also makes a great salad dressing

....and let's be honest, anything fancy sounding that is super easy and delicious? 
For the win. 

If you are curious about a traditional Aioli Recipe, you can find the one pictured below, here.


No comments:

Post a Comment