Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday's Feedings

While walking down the frozen food isle at the grocery store, singing and maybe doing an awkward I-forget-I'm-surrounded-by-people dance I made eye contact with a woman I had just talked to about greek yogurt and she realized, before I did, that I was an awkward fool.

 In my new-found embarrassment I turned to the nearest freezer and began intently looking for something to save me. Brussels sprouts! Good enough! I threw them in my cart, smiled (again awkwardly, what is wrong with me?) and went on my way. 

When I got home and was putting everything away I picked up the sprouts and realized, I don't cook Brussels sprouts. oy. Lucky enough, there was a Brussels sprout recipe involving things in my cupboard:

Cauliflower and Brussels Sprout Gratin

Adapted from Ina Garten from Barefoot In Paris
3/4 head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
3/4 lb of brussels sprouts, trimmed, and quartered lengthwise through core
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups hot milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of grated nutmeg
3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare a large bowl filled with ice water and ice.  Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain. Throw the cooked cauliflower into the bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking any further.  Bring the pot back up to a boil and put in the quartered brussels sprouts and cook for 3-4 minutes.  The cauliflower should be completely cooled.  Drain them and set aside. After the brussels sprouts are done, throw them in the bowl of ice water and ice.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup of the Gruyere, and the Parmesan.
Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8 by 11 by 2-inch baking dish. Place the drained cauliflower and brussels sprouts on top and then spread the rest of the sauce evenly on top. Combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 1/4 cup of Gruyere and sprinkle on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the gratin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned.


recipe adaptation found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment