Sunday, September 18, 2011

High School Sweetheart Revisited...


I feel like I know this man like the back of my hand...well seeing as I don't think anyone is specifically familiar with the back of their hand, I feel like I know this man like the back of a hand that I actually know REALLY well.

We met when we were 17, but didn't start hanging out right away. He sat in the opposite corner of the room during seminary and the moment I saw him walk in with his baseball cap (who knew that was something I was so attracted to? Weird.) on, I knew that I was going to be friends with this boy.
He once told me that his first impression of me was that "one girl who liked to bare her testimony about grass and flowers, but like it was cool". As I got to know him better I decided to start hinting that I liked him...

Cue standing on a light walk-bridge over lake Couer D'Alan on a chilly night and me turning to Russell, looking him straight in the eye and saying:
"Russell..."
"..yea?"
"Don't freak out"
"Okay?"
*unzips sweater and wraps herself inside*

To dissolve my pending chagrin, he hesitated for only a split second and then wrapped his arms around me.... and he has held several special places in my heart ever since.

Now, with the somewhat closely pending six year mark of knowing each other, of being friends, of dating, of being distant, of being closer than we ever thought possible; we are getting married.

It felt incredibly surreal taking engagement pictures with him...filled with blatantly stolen moments where he made me feel dizzy and entirely swept off my feet. 

This man is my best friend. I've never believed in soul mates perse, but I can't help but feel there was some custom tailoring going down when we were created, because in every way we are a perfect fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment